It seems like we closed our eyes to cold weather and bare trees and opened them to daffodils, the smell of spring (and pollen…) and the start of a fun-filled season! Out first favorite event (or another excuse to throw an impromptu Derby Day get together!) is the Derby and all the fun, and mint julep’s that go with it. So here are some ideas for hosting an Impromptu Derby Day Get Together, with little to no stress!
- Get Your Outfit Ready! Comfortable, yet stylish leggings will do (and we have lots of those!), along with one of our floaty palazzo pants that will take you through Derby day and onto the next event! Of course, no Derby event would be complete without a fun hat or a fascinator! Here are some fabulous ideas!
2. Get Your Hat On: Tradition is tradition! Have fun with it! Have a hat? Decorate it with fun flowers and jewels or go for a more refined look and get one of our hats that can go with you all summer. From Darien, to Nantucket or your summer home in Maine, keep your gorgeous hair color from fading and protect your skin from sunburn and wrinkles!
3. Food and Friends: Gather some of your truly best gals and guys, and the key here is impromptu: so everyone has to pitch in and bring something! Champagne, wine, beer and soft drinks, easy to buy/make nibbles. Dips, cheeses, fruit. A tray of olives, bread sticks, a round of brie wrapped in crescent roll dough and baked at 350 for 35 minutes and served with chunks of ciabatta bread. Pick up some already done dry rub chicken wings and a crudités tray, and you’ll have some smiling party guests!
4. Mint Juleps: Recruit the best bartender in your bunch and have them make some of these refreshing cocktails (be careful….they do pack a punch!)
5. Pick Your Horse and Get Ready to Yell for your FAVE! They’re off at 6:46 pm! It’s the two most exciting minutes in sports!
Enjoy! All the Gals at Helen Ainson xoxo